Thursday, June 18, 2015

During Ramadhan, Please Spare A Thought For The Poor!

Lavish Iftar parties have become part of Ramadan. But let us spare a thought to the deprived sections of the Muslim society who toil the entire day and complete their Iftar at a roadside Dhaba.

Ramadan is the month of fasting. It is nothing unusual about Muslims fasting in Ramadan. But there are a slew of Muslims whose fasting is quite noteworthy as compared to the other Muslims keeping the fast.

Shakil Babu, a coolie works for 14 hours everyday to earn Rs 200 daily in the hot tropical climate of Mumbai. During Ramadan, Shakil has no respite inspite of fasting throughout the month. Donate Zakat Here
"The most difficult part is the afternoons ,when the heat is maximum and I do not have any shelter over my head to cool down. Most often after Zuhr (afternoon prayers), the work pressure is maximum which makes me dehydrated", says Shakil. Donate Zakat Here

Rehan Ansari a cab driver, starts work early morning. In fact, the work duration in Ramadan increases for him as he makes specific provision for prayers as well as reciting Quran daily. "In Ramadan also, I start my work by 8 and return home after Tarawih. "The heat inside the cab drains off my energy. After every prayer, I recite Quran for 10 minutes. As far as Iftar is concerned, I do make it a point to be near a mosque and do my Iftar," said Rehan. Donate Zakat Here

What about those who live in filthy slums? Sabira Begum, a housewife has a 10x10 santy at Sankli Street in south Mumbai. Her major worry in Ramadan is a clean space for the prayers and reciting Quran. "Many times, I have to hunt for the clean space in the slums. Usually we women of the area offer prayers in a madrasa nearby, but in Ramadan, the men usually take rest there, depriving us of our only clean and spacious space for Namaz. Since no mosque in the area makes any provision for the women, we have to wait till the last moment for the Namaz,"confesses Sabira. Donate Zakat Here

Tahir Ali, 32, a clerk in a private firm has to travel 25 kms from south Mumbai to Andheri everyday to reach office. In Ramadan, though he gets permission to offer prayers in the Mosque with the congregation, except on holidays, most of his Iftar is in the local train. "I carry a packet of dates with me and do Iftar while travelling back home. The most painful part in Ramadan is the fact that I cannot offer Maghrib (sunset) prayers with the congregation because if I stay back for Maghrib, I will miss my Tarawih," says Tahir. Donate Zakat Here

Safi Shaikh is a heavy vehicle driver. Most often, he has to drive the lorry on a long distance.

Despite his desire to offer Namaz with the congregation, he is unable to do so. "That really hurts and many a times, makes me feel spiritually bankruptted. I do my Iftar and sehri in roadside Dhabas and also offer Namaz there as most of the time there are no mosques on the highway. I asked for Allah's forgiveness and pray to him to change my situation so that I am able to offer Namaz with the Jamaat," confides Safi. Donate Zakat Here

Javeed Memon,is a hawker selling footwear on Mohammed Ali road. He is the group leader of the hawkers for Ramadan. It is Javeed's responsibility to collect funds from the hawkers of the group and make arrangement for the Iftar. All ten hawkers in the group have combined Iftar. Donate Zakat Here

"One of us stays back for prayers to look after our wares. After the group returns from prayer, that person goes to another mosque where the Namaz is offered a little later", said Javeed. Donate Zakat Here

"But Ramadan is our peak season, we are unable to concentrate on prayers or do Ibaadat as one should in Ramadan," he adds.

Abida, a domestic worker works in four houses. In Ramadan, her schedule becomes very hectic. The timing of every household changes as per the individual's convenience. She has to start work around 9 am in the morning which continues till 9 in the evening. "Usually, I complete my work around 5 pm. But in Ramadan, the employers insist that I work after Iftar to wash the utensils. After Iftar and offering Magrib, I rush to work. That's the most difficult part. Donate Zakat Here

As after Iftar, I feel urge to relax for half an hour, but I cannot as otherwise, I will be late and sacked," said Abida.

Zahid, 32, a hand-cart puller operates from textile market in south Mumbai. It is business as usual in Ramadan also till around 3 pm in the afternoon for him. "Every day in the afternoon, when I am very exhausted in Ramadan, I decide that I will skip the fast next day as many times it is the unbearable heat which tires me, after having carried heavy loads. But once I go home and relax, I thank Allah for letting one more day pass without any major incident and decide to fast the next day'', he said. Donate Zakat Here

Firoj Badshah is employed with a Kirana shop in Bandra. His job is to deliver goods to the residence of the customers who place orders on telephone. "While fasting, it is so exhausting climbing floors with heavy load on your shoulders", said Firoj. "Though most of the housing societies in the area have lift, but they do not allow hawkers, salesman and even delivery boys to use lift. Many a times, I am on the verge of fainting when delivering goods while fasting," he says.

The spirit of these Muslims from the deprived sections of the Muslim society is quite appreciable and a lesson for those who inspite of having all the facilities do not fast in Ramadan. Most of them when asked what keeps them going despite heavy odds said that the spiritual pleasure they feel after Iftar makes them forget all the pain and they eagerly wait for the Sehri (pre-dawn meal) the next day. Donate Zakat Here  - Jazakallah khair

No comments:

Post a Comment